Tag: community

• Occupied with Wellness

Occupied with Wellness

Did you know that Occupational Therapy (OT) plays a pivotal role in supporting mental health? We had a chat with occupational therapist Evelyn C. to gain a better understanding of its role in mental wellness. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us Evelyn! Indeed, taking charge of our mental wellness, and enjoying good quality of life by…

Continue Reading

• Reflections from the Inside… Out

Reflections from the Inside… Out

Editor’s Note: Emotions — can’t live with them, can’t live without them. How do we make sense of them? As someone who has experience with depression, one of our volunteers shares her personal reflections on Pixar’s latest hit, Inside Out, and hopes to bring encouragement to others through this piece.

Continue Reading

• Please stop asking if I’ve taken my medicine: Raphael’s Story

Please stop asking if I’ve taken my medicine: Raphael’s Story

Editor’s Note: Often times we don’t realise that our words can mar our best intentions. Perhaps we ought to pay more attention to our tone and timing when it comes to expressing care towards those around us. Here’s a raw account by Raphael on the topic of medication. Thanks for the candid sharing Raphael! 

Continue Reading

• Clinical Psychology in Asia: A Casebook [Tapestry Book Review]

Clinical Psychology in Asia: A Casebook [Tapestry Book Review]

We review mental health related material so that our readers are informed of what resources are available in our community. Here is a book review done by one of our volunteers, Justina.   Title: Clinical Psychology in Singapore: An Asian Casebook Editors: Gregor Lange and John Davidson with Deborah Amanda Goh Publisher: NUS Press Year of…

Continue Reading

• 7 Ways To Support A Loved One: Joy’s Story

7 Ways To Support A Loved One: Joy’s Story

Editor’s Note: This is a a story on caregiving. Caregivers are an often neglected group when we talk about mental health care. It’s never easy looking after someone we love who has a serious illness. It can take its toll on our own mental and physical health. Therefore, we are so grateful to have “Joy”…

Continue Reading

• An Interview with Xun An, author of “The Black Box”

An Interview with Xun An, author of “The Black Box”

Editor’s Note: I absolutely enjoyed meeting Xun An. He’s a good-natured guy that enjoys a lame joke or two, but at the same time has a deep philosophical side to him. Introspective, authentic and wise beyond his years. Featuring him in this interview is an absolute joy and privilege. I’m inspired by his story on how he chose to make the…

Continue Reading

• ‘D’ is for Dignity in Depression

‘D’ is for Dignity in Depression

By Nicole K. // Warning: This isn’t the usual positive, upbeat sort of article I would normally write. But I think when it comes to talking about dignity, I need to reveal some of the things I’ve personally been through that exemplify the opposite of it. This might be triggering for some people, hence reader discretion is…

Continue Reading

• The Fear of Stigmatization: Sylvester’s Story

The Fear of Stigmatization: Sylvester’s Story

Editor’s Note: In this story, Sylvester shares his innermost thoughts on seeking help and treatment for depression, and touches on low self-esteem which has plagued him most of his young life. Previously not understanding the nature of depression, he talks about stigma and recognises the harmful effects of stereotyping. He no longer judges people with mental health struggles today,…

Continue Reading

• “8-5” (2015): A Review

“8-5” (2015): A Review

Editor’s Note: Mental health education need not be dry and boring. And the restaging of this in-house play was proof of that. Read on to discover the powerful impact of combining the arts with advocacy in our interview with the director of the 8-5.

Continue Reading

• Coping with Low Energy

Coping with Low Energy

Recovery is a full-time gig, complete with victorious highs and crushing lows. And so, going public with my depression does not mean my life is now full of rainbows and sunshine (I do wish!) It also does not mean that I have “recover-ed”, but am “recover-ing”. These past months were a good reminder that I…

Continue Reading

• Something Out of Nothing

Something Out of Nothing

By Nicole K. // Singapore turned 50 just a few days ago. As the nation celebrated her Golden Jubilee, with nostalgic throwbacks to yesteryear and impressive aerial displays, I was filled with gratitude and awe at how far we’ve come as a country that had seemingly nothing to start with. And in some ways, this parallels our…

Continue Reading

• Project Dawn: An Event Story

Project Dawn: An Event Story

Editor’s Note: It was many months ago when I met Wei Lun and his team. They got in touch with us, wanting to understand more about mental illness in Singapore. It never ceases to amaze me how open and teachable these young people are. Despite initially not having the vocabulary to articulate their concerns, I could see how genuine and…

Continue Reading

• Express!on: An Event Story

Express!on: An Event Story

Editor’s Note: We often lend a hand to student projects because we wholeheartedly support young people and their passion for helping others, particularly when it comes to mental health. Read on to find out what’s happening at Ngee Ann Polytechnic from 3-4 August! 

Continue Reading

• Beautifully Extraordinary

Beautifully Extraordinary

Editor’s Note: Serene has been a avid supporter of The Tapestry Project and we are so honoured to finally feature her story on our platform! Living with schizoaffective disorder is not easy, and as with all mental illnesses, easily misunderstood. It is our hope that many would come to realise that illness has its roots in biology and is…

Continue Reading

• Behind the Hotline: Jay’s Story

Behind the Hotline: Jay’s Story

Have you thought about seeking help at a counselling centre? Ever wondered whom you’d be speaking with on the other end of the line? Meet Jay, the Intake Officer at Eagles Mediation & Counselling Centre (EMCC). We had a chance to interview her and found out what it’s like to handle daily enquiries at a counselling…

Continue Reading